left TheEdgeClinger & TheTallGuy: Couch Surfing

August 29, 2007

Couch Surfing


A good friend told me about “couch surfing”. Apparently the term has been used for some time among the college crowd to describe “crashing” on someone’s couch when traveling. Now it’s a huge online site for people who are willing to “host” total strangers
in their homes for a night or two or more, or for travelers who would like to stay in the homes of total strangers in unknown places. Wow! Right up my alley, I thought! Not only a way to possibly meet new and interesting people from around the world, simply by offering our guest room occasionally, but a way to find free places to stay for part of the time when we roam the world! “Sounds dangerous,” says my son. How did I raise such conservative kids? The very day that I joined the group and set up my profile, we received a request from 2 brothers from Ohio who would like to couch surf at our home in October. I’ll let you know how it goes.

3 Comments:

Erin said...

I love CouchSurfing! I've never actually hosted any surfers (no guest room or even comfy couch), but CR has an active social group that loves to get together and have some fun once in awhile... it's been a great way to meet new people in the area.

TheEdgeClinger said...

Erin: Thanks for your comment. I look forward to meeting you - and other Couch Surfers - down the road!

Plant Crone said...

Wow-Couch surfing--too bad the site is down right now...I'd sign up for it.

I'm spending a few weeks in Costa Rica-leaving next thursday actually, to house-sit in Grecia for a couple of weeks and go to the dentist.

After that-well it's just going where ever I decide to go!

Interested in hosting a grandma from Oregon for a couple of nights?

I've been following a lot of the Costa Rica blogs since I decided to get my dental work done there and have just started trying my own hand at the blogging stuff.

You can email me at
plantcrone@gmail.com