left TheEdgeClinger & TheTallGuy: El Mercado

August 17, 2007

El Mercado


I try to go to the Heredia market (el mercado) at least once a week for fruits and vegetables. This is not the vast Saturday morning feria, but rather just the everyday market. You can find anything there (well almost). Sometimes when I go on Fridays, I run into my friend Flora. Flora sometimes helps me when I can't figure out how to explain what I want (pork chops thicker than 1/4 inch!) or don't know what on earth some strange vegetable or fruit looking thing really is and what to do with it. I love going to the market. It is so colorful! And so economical. I think I could do all our grocery shopping at the market and feed us well for very little. 'Course that's not what we do. We like all that cool stuff you can get at Mas X Menos (mahs-pour-MEY-nos, or "more for less"). But el mercado is one of my favorite things about Costa Rica.

1 Comment:

Jude said...

I love your blog! I saw your message at costaricaliving yahoo group. I am an artist living in San Rafael Heredia. I was browsing that group and saw your beautiful information reach costa rica blog. Is it okey if I put you in my art blog link and you may do so in your blog. Thanks a lot! I invite you to visit my art studio anytime when you are around the area. I paint the beauty of nature in Costa Rica: from bamboo paintings, landscapes, tropical flowers, dog art, etc. You are welcome to visit my art blog. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks,
Jude
artist

My Art Blog:
http://paintingsbyjude.blogspot.com