left TheEdgeClinger & TheTallGuy: Social Life & Noise Levels

August 16, 2002

Social Life & Noise Levels


1st week of school is over. I need a lot more practice than I’m getting. Had lunch at Le Petite Paris with several of the other students: Kim from my class, a special ed teacher from NJ, Mauri, the Air Force Colonel, another student originally from Jamaica, I think, and the very young one with the little voice. All a lot of fun. Linda called. We’ll have lunch at their house after coffee at Azzurras on Sunday. Gene will finally get to see their house up in the mountains which I’ve told him so much about! Also called Dale. We’re going to meet in San Jose tomorrow to go together to Escazu for the British Ambassador’s fund-raising party. I think Gene’s worried about when he’s going to study. I guess I should be worried, too, since I definitely have to do some studying over the week-end. I just can’t seem to work myself up to worry about anything.

Friday nights are always very noisy! Doesn’t bother me, but it’s obvious. Ticos love music, dance and partying. I think they have a lot of energy! Also I’ve noticed there are always lots of sounds around, no matter where you are. People here are great at “multi-hearing.” Multiple conversations, conversations over several other sounds, etc. They don’t seem to notice. In a taxi, the sound of the dispatcher is non-stop, the radio is blaring, and it apparently seems normal to the driver that he should ask you several times where you want to go before he hears the answer.

0 Comments: