Getting Around by Bus: You really can get anywhere from here – by bus. It never ceases to amaze me. Now, it may take a while to figure out where to catch the bus, or which bus to take to somehow get from Point A to Point B, but that’s another whole story. I think you can get about anywhere in this country for $4 or less. And anywhere around the Central Valley for under $1. I love not needing a car. No car payments. No insurance payments, no registration, no pumping gas, no maintenance costs, no parking costs, no repair bills, no parking tickets. It’s awesome.
Or Take a Taxi: Otherwise you can always take a taxi. Most of the time a cab costs us about a dollar. A great way to get home from the grocery store with a bunch of groceries. Or just get somewhere fast when it’s raining. I’ve found that if I just close my eyes and hold my breath for the entire trip, I rarely have any problems. And anyhow, since we’ve moved here and adopted such a relaxed lifestyle, I rarely ever have panic attacks. So I recommend taking taxis from time to time just to make sure the adrenaline is still there.
Potholes: They really do repair them! The six foot deep, six foot by 3 foot hole in the middle of the road right at the corner at the bottom of our hill got filled in this week! I can’t help wondering what it’s filled with, since I noticed previously that there were a couple of tires and a few other interesting objects down there. And I’m not sure where the metal rods that used to stick straight up from the hole may have gone…but no more hole. And it only took a couple of days after the hole was filled for the 3 foot high pile of excess pieces of concrete to be moved out of the middle of the street. I notice that the taxis still swerve when coming around that corner. It’s going to take a while….
Pedestrians: Drivers of vehicles assume that you are an intelligent enough human being to get the hell out of the way of moving vehicles. A compliment, I suppose. After years of training at always crossing at the crosswalk on the corner, I’ve now retrained myself to always cross in the middle of the block, where I have a slightly improved chance of getting to the other side of the road before the traffic coming around the corner can reach me. The last guy who insisted that pedestrians have the right of way is dead.
August 22, 2002
The Last Guy Who Insisted That Pedestrians Have the Right of Way is Dead
| Hotlinks: DiggIt! Del.icio.us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














0 Comments:
Post a Comment